Tuesday, June 8, 2010

PICNICS



"How would you like to be woo-ed?"A guy once looked me deep in the eyes and asked me that and it stopped me in my tracks. I stammered and was too stunned to answer him but I never forgot the question, and still to this day I always arrive at my best comebacks when it doesn't count.  Well, sir, I would have liked a picnic! I've always found the roar and haste of the dining crowd not to my liking, preferring something intimate, personalized, and memory making.

Picnics are not just for lovers so join me as I examine the ingredients for a lovely picnic, because while they shouldn't be an overly thought out affair, some pre-planning can go a long way:


  • blanket
  • food & drinks
  • setting
The Blanket

 Once I had the lovely idea of taking my kiddo's to the park to picnic and play in the morning. We had a great time but ever since the time of my first, very own picnic I've learned a thing or two.  The ground was damp, children will walk on the blanket with sandy feet, and wet napkins are a picnic's best friend.  If you're picnic-ing for two, I recommend a small-ish blanket. I have this little antique blanket that I found, they can cost crazy amounts of denero  but are full of charm and I've had mine for years and it still functions... sometimes people shoot me dirty looks for actually using an antique and I manage not to poke them in the eye for it.  Waterproof picnic blankets are available, as are ones with carrying handles but unless you intend on being a professional picnic-er, I just don't see all that as necessary.
 Food and Drinks   


It's completely acceptable to cheat here and buy lunch but keep in mind that the messier the food the more need for wipes and for garbage catcher.  If you want your picnic to feel sentimental and you have skills in the kitchen, then by all means prepare the food yourself.  Otherwise select special things to purchase the day before from a local gourmet or health food store.  Add strawberries (remove hulls) or some sensual treat and maybe a little wine in a thermos bottle if this picnic is with a member of the opposite sex. Lemonade always refreshes and I really have a thing for bubbly water like ice cold Perrier. Listen to me here, this is very important, if you grab a bucket of fried chicken ask yourself if you want to gnaw on a chicken bone in front of a practical stranger, hmm.  If you decide yes on the take out chicken - ask them for an extra, empty bucket to toss your bones into when you are finished. Remember to bring cups and any eating or serving utensils required. Napkins are a also a must.


Setting


Your first thought is to go to a nearby park isn't it? That's nice, really, yaa-aaw-awn, no really it is. So anyway, if you have the time, whoosh your guest(s) away to somewhere lovely like a botanical garden, or on a rainy day - rearrange the living room and add music and dim the lights or go with candle lights if possible.  Picnic unconventionally, like at night under the stars and with desert, champagne (with strawberries in the bottom of the glass) and candle light or the light of a full moon.  When my kidlets were tiny and we had spent the day destroying the kitchen table with crafts and creativity, rather than clean the table and cook dinner I would spread a blanket on the floor and announced that we were having a picnic.  This was always a hit!  So think outside of the picnic basket.


If you are really seeking to do something romantic here, I recommend you bring a little vase of flowers and take pictures, or bring bubbles or a frisbee for kiddos.  Consider these from my twitter friends and remember the bug spray and sunblock:


@TearlessPoet: beach, valley, clearing


@mikedinc: book 4 or 5 Private Gondola rides in a row @ Venetian Hotel Las Vegas. Eat light lunch w/ champagne on the gondola. Works. (tip well)


@DarkFeathaz: I wud go to the lake. Its more peaceful than da park. Or find a creek. Sittn near water is so tranquil


@PtahShadow: At a lake ... Or if ya city on top of a roof with a tight view with a boom box wit y'all fav tunes!!


@SusanLorelei: On a boat on a lake ... On a big farm .... on your bed .... and definitely in your neighbors back yard!!!!  


@Lodis22: beach or waterfront 


Picnic Suggestions? Please Share in the comment section!


I'd love it if you followed this blog or hit the RSS button for auto follow (^_~)

No comments:

Post a Comment